From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:29:50 -0700
Reports of any color marked birds (neck bands, wing tags, colored leg bands, etc) or of birds (dead or alive) found with metal bands can be sent to the US Bird Banding Lab online here: http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/call800.htm
The online electronic reporting form is very easy to use and only takes a minute of your time!

If you are interested specifically in marked turkey vultures I am aware of two studies going on currently, one led by Hawk Mountain, the other by UC-Davis.  I'm pretty sure Hawk Mountain used red or blue wing tags and UC uses white tags (which is interesting because the bird John reported had a white tag!).  Info on how to report tagged TUVUs directly to the project director at Hawk Mountain is available here:
http://www.frg.org/HMS/TV_wingtag_poster.pdf and more info on the study is available here:
http://www.frg.org/HMS/HMS_TV_more.htm
Info on the UC-Davis study and how to report sightings to them is available here:
http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/BirdInfo/BandedBirds/BandedTUVUs.html

Since I'm not sure how well the banding lab transmits data back to the individual researchers (haven't had to coordinate with them yet) I'm sure the individual project leaders would also like sighting info, even if you submit it electronically to the banding lab.

Data helps conservation (and our general understanding of the birds we all love)!  Please report your sightings!

Cheers,
Heather