From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:50:07 -0700
Nothing rare, but at least some interesting birding in the NE the last few days.  On 4/7: in Mahoning Co.--n. mockingbird in Struthers; Cooper's hawk in Campbell; 5 wild turkeys, n. rough-winged swallow, ruby-crowned kinglet, and rusty blackbirds in southern Poland Twp.  On 4/8: at Walborn Res. (Stark Co.) were 5 lesser scaup, 20 red-breasted mergansers, 35 double-crested cormorants, 2 bald eagles, Wilson's snipe, belted kingfisher, and 30 tree swallows.  Nearby Deer Creek Res. had 45 more d-c cormorants.  At the south end of Berlin Res. in Stark Co. both of the osprey pair were at the nest.  I looked for flooded fields around these areas and at Bandy Rd. in Knox Twp. (Columbiana Co.) but it was dried up too much for shorebirds etc.  The only birds of interest were 3 Am. pipits at the Bandy Rd. site.  Next I went north to Orwell Marsh in Ashtabula Co.  It held 6 blue-winged teal, 5 greater yellowlegs, 9 lesser yellowlegs, and 2 barn swallows.
 While I was there, a flock of ~35 Bonaparte's gulls came in from the south, took a look at the marsh, and kept on going north.  A couple of the yellowlegs tried to call them down when they first appeared, and I got excited for a split second thinking it might be a flock of shorebirds arriving!  After that I headed home; along the way were a pair of Am. kestrels in Wayne Twp. (Ashtabula Co.), another kestrel in Bloomfield Twp. (Trumbull Co.), a couple horned larks in Johnston Twp. (TRUM), and 4 blue-winged teal and red-shouldered hawk in Coitsville Twp. (back in Mahoning Co.).  Today at my Poland Twp. (MAHO) feeders were e. towhee, 3 dark-eyed juncos, and 2 purple finches.  Craig Holt, Lowellville