From:
Timothy Shue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothy Shue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 09:47:34 -0700
    In my middle school music class, I have created an integrated unit on building listening skills; combining bird song and musical terms. After two weeks in the classroom, we head outside to test their skills and see what’s out there.
    Broken into small groups of 5-6 students, we go to our school’s woods in 40 minute increments throughout the day. To create initial interest, I’ve assigned point values to different birds as well as points for hearing, seeing, or both. It’s been a very fun week for me and I’m amazed at how quickly they have caught on!
    Over 40 kids have participated and in two mornings we’ve located the following: Hooded, Palm, Nashville, Northern parula warblers, Northern orioles, Rose-breasted grosbeaks, Brown thrashers, Red-headed woodpeckers, Eastern towhees, Scarlet tanagers, Wood ducks, Wood thrush, White-throated sparrows, and many other birds they’d never even heard of. Timothy Shue
Director of Music
Central Christian School
Kidron, OH 44636
330 857 7311