Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 16:42:07 -0400
Today I visited Areas L & N of the Hoover Nature Preserve to monitor the status of the Prothonotary Warblers and to police some trash at the same time. The Prothonotary Warblers were present in ever increasing numbers along with a nice variety of other migrants.

Area L begins off Dustin Road in Galena and continues north along Little Walnut Creek. I observed 14 male Prothonotary Warblers at Area L. Including the PROW’s I observed 14 warbler species in Area L.

Area N is off Front Street in Galena and runs south and takes in the area between the old sidewalk and Big Walnut Creek, plus land on the east side of Big Walnut Creek.  I observed 25 male Prothonotary Warblers at Area N. Including the PROW’s I observed 16 warbler species in Area N.

Although the numbers are looking good for the PROW’s I have concerns as the water level is substantially lower than normal for this time of the year. Male Prothonotary Warblers are constructing false nests in natural cavities and nest boxes that the water underneath has receded from. This could lead to a high loss rate to predators during the nesting season.

Species observed today at Area L (L) and Area N (N) included the following:
Double-crested Cormorant (N)
Great Blue Heron (L) (N)
Green Heron (N)
Turkey Vulture (L) (N)