Date:
Sat, 8 May 2010 13:52:34 -0400
I intended to police trash at the preserve this morning as I expected the gusty winds to keep both the birds and the fishermen down. You know what they say about good intentions. The fishermen were sparse and the birds almost as bad. In the sheltered areas under the tree canopy where the wind was blocked I ran into more activity than expected and I ended up sitting on a comfortable log and birding. I did manage to remove about 10 gallons of trash before goofing off so I don't feel completely guilty.

The list of the most abundant species seen is a little different though. The Cliff Swallows have returned in good numbers and they were toped only by the Tree Swallows as both species were having a feeding frenzy over the water's surface. The third most common bird for the morning put a smile on my face. What else but the Prothonotary Warblers. I observed 8 males at Oxbow Road and 7 males at Weise Road.

Oxbow Road species of interest:
Warbling Vireo (1)
Tree Swallow (40-45)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (5)