From:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2010 18:57:13 -0400
While looking for rare birds near Clear Fork Reservoir - Richland County I
saw a Canada Goose sight that had to be seen to be believed.

In the lawn next to a pond beside a private drive across the road from Clear
Fork, was a "family" of Canada Geese.

So far hardly worthy of comment.

Also it is a common behavior for Canada Geese to steal/adopt offspring of
other pairs.These brood flocks usually ranging from 10 to 20 young.

But this particular  pair of geese (not in close association with other
geese that were acting "parental") must consider
themselves as being "super parents". They were tending no less then 50-53
very young (about 3 days to a week old) goslings. There were other geese (7)
within a
50 yards of them, but they flew when they were approached by me in car.

I don't know what the record is for a "supersized" family but this
observation/occurrence must be very close to the largest known.

It will be interesting to see what the fledging-to-flight success of these
offspring will be as there is no way the parents can actually protect the
young
from the weather elements and/or local predators.

Secondarily, I was looking (unsuccessfully) for a Purple Gallinule observed
by 2 experienced observers yesterday on Oreweiler Road at the upper reaches
of
the reservoir (40 D 43.5 minutes N - 82 D 39.3 minutes W). As far as I know
it was last seen (not by me) circa 5 pm on May 7th.

Roger Troutman