From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2010 18:35:33 -0700
Mo Bacik and I made a day of it - hitting Magee, Ottawa NWR,
Hey all -

Mo Bacik and I made a day of it - hitting Magee, Ottawa NWR, Metzger, Pickerel, Willow Point, and Old Woman's Creek.  We finished with 20 warbler sp, though most were represented by only a bird or two.  The highlight was a low-foraging male Golden-winged at Metzger, and a female was seen by many at Magee towards the afternoon.  The driving tour was unremarkable, but the field south of Pickerel Creek was the opposite.  While some of the birds that Steve Landes found earlier were elsewhere, including the Franklin's Gull, this skypond should be productive for the time being.  Dunlin (375), Lesser (50) and Greater Yellowlegs (4) made up the shorebird list here, and we later returned to find only a handful of shorebirds and a splendid Peregrine Falcon sitting in the field.  I also struck out relocating the Eurasian Wigeon but it's also very possible that it was hiding behind one of the many grassy islands within this impoundment (I didn't circle
 it).  Good news for big day teams - Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, and Gadwall were all present at Pick, and a pair of Redheads occupied Willow Point.  And, to boost the string of misses - there were no pelicans visible from the Rt. 6 bridge over Old Woman's Creek estuary at appx. 1945.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland