From:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 11:43:58 -0400
One of several bird hikes were held in celebration of IMBD on the Hocking
Valley Birding Trail this past weekend (Hocking, Athens, Fairfield, Vinton
counties).  The weather was cool and windy but we did fairly well. We
hosted  around 300 people at the Birder's Reception on Saturday with
Hocking Hills State Park naturalist Pat Quackenbush and sidekick Charger
(an educational red-shouldered hawk) packing them in the building.
At the bird hike I led on Sunday morning at the HockHocking Adena Bikepath
(entrance point Co. Rd 4 between Athens and Nelsonville and the only area
where National Forest land is adjacent to the path) we were able to add
30+ species to our event list.

Species of birds seen or heard while on the Bikepath were:
Canada Goose
Turkey Vultures
A pair of Broad-winged Hawks showing some agitation at the Red-tailed Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
Wood Thrush
Red-eyed Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Prothonotary Warbler -we watched him go repeatedly into a cavity with
nesting material
Cerulean Warbler
American Redstart
Hooded Warbler
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow

On the drive out of the area there was a flooded plowed field on Athens
Co. Rd. 4 that had:
Ring-billed Gull
Wood Duck
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Killdeer
and a few unidentified smaller type sandpipers- possibly Least
Sandpipers??

Lynda Andrews
Wildlife Biologist
Wayne National Forest