From:
Rebecca Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 12:28:40 -0400
We wanted to let you all know about a friendly birding competition on
Sunday, May 9, 2010.  The Big Half Day Bird Race, runs from 6 a.m. - noon,
and takes place on the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge and Magee Marsh
Wildlife Area properties.  This is a race for teams of TWO people.  As you
can see by the rules, it is a competition that we hope encourages newer
birders to join in the fun.  We encourage competitors to seek out
assistance and learn some new birds while having a lot of fun.

Here are the rules and a little more information:

Location:  Only birds that are seen north of State Route 2 and in the
public areas of Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and Ottawa National Wildlife
Refuge may be counted.
Rules:
·       All teams must register at Black Swamp Bird Observatory by 6 p.m.
on May 8, 2010
·       Race begins at Black Swamp Bird Observatory at 6 a.m. on May 9,
2010
·       All birds must be seen by one of the team members (heard only
birds do not count)
·       All bird species must have been seen by a Tropical Birding guide
on that day or verified with a photo
·       Birds must be recorded on the BSBO Bird Checklist
·       You may ask Tropical Birding Guides or other knowledgeable birders
for assistance
·       Birds must have been seen on public areas of Ottawa NWR and Magee
Marsh property north of State Route 2, this includes the trail at the
Black Swamp Bird Observatory and Refuge property visible from Krause,
Stange and Veler Roads
·       Species seen during BSBO?s banding demo will count
·       Electronic devices are approved for identification, but no play
back calls  (BirdsEye I-phone reference app is one example of an
acceptable electronic device)
·       Race ends at noon at the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Visitor
Center, turn in your bird list there
·       Winning team will be announced at 2:30 p.m. at the Ottawa NWR
Visitor Center

Additional information including a printable registration form and maps of
the areas can be found at:

http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/bird_race.htm

Rebecca E. Hinkle
Visitor Services Manager