From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2010 20:25:51 -0400
Family obligations limited my birding to a quick hour around noon, at my uncle's farm.

It looks like the Louisiana waterthrush may set up housekeeping: it has been along the creek over a week now, with what I translate as territorial calling/singing.

Yellow warblers and common yellowthroats are nest-building.

Song sparrows are feeding nestlings and fledglings.  The mourning dove has left the nest, apparently failed.  Several robins' nests are apparent.

Northern flickers are apparently nesting; the red-headed woodpeckers are visiting holes in the snags where they nested last summer.  Red-bellied woodpeckers are carrying food, presumable to nestlings.  Downies are very quiet.

The bobolinks that were around last weekend have moved on - happily, as the field where they seemed to be staying will soon be mown for hay.  No sign of eastern meadowlark this week, although they have nested at the farm for the past three years.

Best birds of the day:  a willow flycatcher - I don't ID empids without a call, and this guy was calling his heart out - from a clump of willows along the creek, no less (new farm bird, #65).  And, a white-eyed vireo - only the second I've ever seen there, and my FOS.

Only about 30 species today, compared to 45 last Sunday, and only 3 warbler species, compared to 8 last week.  But, the time of day probably contributed to the sparsity.   Still, a beautiful day and a birdy one.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH