From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 09:18:27 -0400
Just as a P.S. to Chris's post---I too was at Sandy Ridge yesterday (though
not with the group, alas) and saw many of the same birds.  My wife also
believes that she spotted a muskrat in the shallows, gathering nest
materials.

I just wanted to mention that the local Red-winged Blackbirds seemed to be
especially ornery yesterday.  I observed them hectoring one of the Bald
Eagles, a Cooper's Hawk (particularly risky, I'd think!), a Great Egret and
a Red Tailed Hawk.  I wasn't able to get a picture of the BE or Cooper's
altercations, but I did get some of the others:

Egret <http://mansfield.osu.edu/faculty/ncomet/Egret_v_RWBB2.JPG>
RTHA1 <http://mansfield.osu.edu/faculty/ncomet/RedTailedHawk_v_RWBB1.jpg>
RTHA2 <http://mansfield.osu.edu/faculty/ncomet/RedTailedHawk_v_RWBB4.jpg>

Also swung by Elywood where the Barred Owls were not to be seen or heard,
though the beautiful Spring foliage has made it difficult to observe the
nest.  A quick survey at the base of their huge Sycamore turned up no
pellets (but I imagine most of their pellets would land inside the nest
cavity anyway.)  It was a brief visit: plenty of Robins, some Grackles, a TV
flyover and no shortage of RWBBs.

Noah