From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 17:02:28 -0400
The dust is still settling (or perhaps I should say the mud is still
drying!), and there are still lots of birds and birders around, but I wanted
to thank everyone who joined us for the Biggest Week In American Birding.
The official total for the event was 226 species, including highlights such
as American White Pelicans, Upland Sandpipers, displaying Bobolinks and
American Woodcocks, 37 of the 38 eastern wood warblers (the exception being
the more southern-ranged Swainson's Warbler), one hybrid, the Brewster's
Warbler, and of course, one very photogenic Kirtland's Warbler.

Some fun facts include: sales of more than 80 Ohio Wildlife Legacy Stamps,
Federal Duck Stamps, and Jr. Duck Stamps (that's just from BSBO, not sure of
numbers sold at Ottawa and Magee), 44 states represented in the event
registration, and people visiting from Spain, Kenya, Guam, Japan, Ecuador,
England, Canada, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, and
Mexico; the Lake Erie Marsh Region was truly a melting pot during the event.

Some personal highlights for me were hearing many people say that the event
had inspired them to come out and try birding for the very first time. One
young mother, with two small children in tow, stopped back by BSBO to tell
me that she had seen 14 species of warblers on her first time out. The
festival also introduced hundreds (if not thousands) of birders to other
great birding areas along the Lake Shore. BSBO handed out approximately 5000
free copies of birding area maps and directions to places like Mallard Club
Marsh, East Harbor State Park, Toussaint Wildlife Area, and Oak Openings
Preserve Metropark. It was great fun to have people stop back in to tell us
how much they enjoyed exploring these other areas and sharing their
sightings.

I cannot find the words to express my gratitude to the multitude of
volunteers who made this event possible. Volunteers came from across Ohio,
and from Texas, Florida, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, California, and
Michigan. It was truly the ultimate example of teamwork and I thank you all
for the incredible effort you all put into this event. From driving busses
to handing out registration packets, directing traffic and making copies of
maps, serving hot coffee and acting as room monitors, volunteers led the
charge and made the event fun for everyone. Thank you all, so much!

To our partners at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge and the Ohio Division of
Wildlife, thank you for taking on the additional work load of helping to
organize and host this major event. All this in addition to the
extraordinary work that you do to manage the habitat that plays a critical
role in the survival of millions of migratory birds. I'm humbled by the work
that you do.

To Kenn Kaufman and Kaufman Field Guides, a debt of gratitude for presenting
NINE keynote talks, helping lead field trips, keeping the "Birding Pages"
updated with predictions on migration, and of course, for finding the
Kirtland's Warbler that delighted thousands of people on Friday.

To the guides from Tropical Birding, aka "The Dudes in the Yellow Caps," who
volunteered their expert services during the Biggest Week, thanks for
changing the lives of hundreds of beginning birders over the course of the
last 11 days. Your expertise was evident and your enthusiasm infectious. It
was a pleasure working with all of you.

To the staff at BSBO...omg, you are just the most remarkable people I will
ever meet! I'm so proud to be a part of your team!

And finally, to Rebecca Hinkle and Delores Cole: It was an honor to work
alongside you both during this long year of planning. I've learned so much,
laughed so hard, and loved every minute of it. You two represent the reason
why this event was such a success.

We'll be posting a more comprehensive summary of the event, bird and birder
photos, and dates for next year's Biggest Week soon at:
www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com ---as soon as we all sleep for a few
days!

Thanks and good birding!

Kimberly Kaufman