From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 10:30:06 -0400
Finally, I tripped over a woodcock on eggs in my fields. I was walking
off my
normal little trails and flushed a bird in an undisturbed area.  4 eggs!
She didn't go far, flying only a small arc and landing within 20 feet.

As migrating birds are still returning in droves, I'm always amazed at
how far along the
early nesters are.  The pileated's in the dead elm are feeding young
-- already the
little heads are appearing in the opening and the phoebe's five eggs
hatched while
I was away this weekend.  No cowbirds in it this year. A fledged house
finch is
at the feeders and song sparrows are carrying bugs to their nest.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road, at the Geauga/Cuy Co line