From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 18:55:50 -0400
I stopped by Emily Traphagan Preserve this morning.  The barred owls have
fledged.  I saw two of them.  There may have been more.  I also saw a red-
bellied woodpecker nestling sticking its head out of a tree cavity waiting
for its parents to come back with food.

At Kiwanis cedar waxwings were abundant.  One pair of them was building a
nest.  A female American redstart was taking a bath in one of the springs
not more than five feet from where I was standing on the boardwalk.
Farther down the trail, near where it turns to go up to the parking lot, a
daddy downy woodpecker put food into the mouth of one of his screaming
fledglings.  The male prothonotary warblers are still singing but I still
haven't seen a female there yet.

At Lazelle Woods, the red-tailed hawk chicks are getting big.  Any day now
they should fledge.

The complete list follows. L=Lazelle Woods, K=Kiwanis, T=Traphagan

Double-Crested Cormorant (K)
Great Blue Heron (T, K)
Canada Goose (K)
Mallard (T, K)
Wood Duck (K)
Red-Tailed Hawk (L)
Cooper's Hawk (T)
Turkey Vulture (T, K, L)
Mourning Dove (L)
Barred Owl (adults and fledlings)(T)
Chimney Swift (K, T, L)
Belted Kingfisher (K)
Northern Flicker (T, K)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker (T, K)
Downy Woodpecker (adults and fledlings)(K)
Eastern Wood Pewee (T, K)
Acadian Flycatcher (T)
Great-Crested Flycatcher (T, K)
Eastern Kingbird (K)