From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 19:23:23 -0400
In a few hours this morning I visited several migrant traps in west Columbus and Hilliard looking for migrants and strays, without much success.  I stopped at Big Run Park, PrairieLincolnWoods, Clover Wetlands, Prairie Oaks MetroPark, and Hilliard Municipal Park.  Each had a few migrants, but numbers and diversity were poor.  The nice weather is encouraging this 3rd wave to wash right over us on its way to the Lake Erie shore.  Notables included:

Herons,Egrets - 2-3 Great Blue Herons, 2 Great Egrets, and 1 Green Heron were at Clover wetlands, a tiny pocket wetland off Alton-Darby Creek Rd.

Cuckoos - not much but I did have 2 calling at the Prairie Oaks North Canoe launch

Flycatchers - lots of residents, especially Pewees and Great Crested, but no obvious migrants.  Acadians were on territories at Prairie Lincoln Woods and Sycamore Plains.

Vireos - Red-eyed at most locations (and likely residents), White-eyed at Big Run and Clover Wetlands, and a PHILADELPHIA at Big Run

Thrushes - Swainsons at the largest woodlands (Big Run and Sycamore Plains in Prairie Oaks), but no Gray-cheeks or Veeries

Warblers - Redstarts at every stop, but rarely more than 1-2.  Resident Parulas and Yellow-throateds were along Darby Creek in Prairie Oaks MetroPark. Common Yellowthroats were abundant in several areas.  Wilsons were at Clover Wetlands, Sycamore Plains, and the North Canoe launch in Prairie Oaks.

Sparrows - the only unusual ones were singing Savannah Sparrows along Amlin Rd in Praire Oaks grasslands.

Others - Indigo Buntings were abundant along edges at all sites.  The only Rose-br.Grosbeak was a singing bird at Sycamore Plains in Prairie Oaks.  Baltimore Orioles were at several areas along Darby Creek, while a singing Orchard was along the entrance road at Sycamore Plains