From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 22:53:35 -0400
We decided to continue "The Biggest Week In American Birding" for another weekend, friday May 21st thru sunday May 23rd. We were able to add sixteen new species to our list, bringing it to 186 species for the three weekend period; included in the sixteen was two more warbler species, bringing that total to 31. Our only disappointment was not finding a Connecticut Warbler, elusive little bugger!!! A short visit on friday, and a return visit on saturday afternoon, to Oak Openings, was very rewarding; netting us twelve of the sixteen species. Additional species from Oak Openings in order of being recorded were: Wild Turkey, Lark Sparrow, Eastern Towhee, Blue Grosbeak, Summer Tanager, Cerulean Warbler, Cooper's Hawk, Henslow's Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Bobolink, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Whip-poor-will. To this add Lady Slipper Orchids and Wild Lupine, what a wonderful place! Of all the vanity plates seen, our favorite was a beat up New Mexico "GOSHAWK" plate. Our favorite most colorful was the Kentucky dragonfly plates! The most noteworthy highlight was having another, very cooperative, second friday in a row, Kirtland's Warbler. Two consectutive friday sightings, once in a lifetime! The Black-crowned Night-Herons continued at the blue dumpster behind the Marathon station east of Magee Marsh. As many as six were seen in the company of Great Blue Herons, Herring Gulls, and Grackles. Being located next to a fish cleaning station, the dumpster is always loaded with tasty fish scraps and the most maggots we have ever seen. If the Night-Herons are not at the dumpster, look diagonally to the right across the road, to a bare open area in the trees; they can see the dumpster from there. Another highlight was finding Green Herons roosting, and possibly nesting, in the top of the pine trees, above and behind site #34 at Camp Sabroske. Who could ask for a better way to continue the year of birding in Ohio. We are now at 239 species for 2010 in Ohio. Time for the Breeding Bird Atlas fun!!

Bob and Denise Lane

Damascus,Ohio