Date:
Tue, 25 May 2010 12:51:37 -0400
This morning I talked Linda into joining me as I checked my Prothonotary Warbler Nest Box Trail section along the northeast shore of Hoover Reservoir. We covered the area from the Eastshore Yacht Club north to the area just south of Big Walnut Creek. The water at Hoover Reservoir is down from its normal level for this time of year and I feared that this would impact on the PROW's. They are proving themselves to be very adaptable as they are using boxes sans water underneath. I identified 12 active territories along this stretch with some additional males singing but their status unknown. They are either unpaired or the females were in the nest box or cavity laying eggs as I did not find a female associated with the lone male. Currently I have identified 86 pairs on territory combining both those using the nest boxes and those using natural cavities.

Additional activity along this stretch included an adult Bald Eagle, an Osprey, a rufous morf Eastern Screech Owl, Indigo Buntings everywhere, Orchard and Baltimore Orioles, Cedar Waxwings, Wood Ducks, and Double Crested Cormorants. Warblers were conspicuously absent with only a few Yellow Warblers.

The one species that was abundant, but not wanted (Linda really hates them) were ticks. They seem to be having a banner year. The price of the stock for the company that produces Deep Woods Off with DEET should be a good bet this year as they should be selling plenty of their product. Tweezers, don't leave home without them.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve