From:
Cindy Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 09:11:03 -0700
My husband and I scouted SVWA for a Dayton Audubon Society walk we're scheduled to lead there tomorrow morning.  Nothing out of the ordinary, but a decent amount of activity.  Best birds were probably two Barred Owls calling to each other (which enabled us to find them) and a pair of Yellow-billed Cuckoos seen (and heard) repeatedly.

47 species in all, including:
Great Blue and Green Herons
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Pileated, Hairy, Red-bellied, and Downy Woodpeckers
Acadian, Willow, and Great Crested Flycatchers (all vocalizing)
Eastern Wood Pewee
Eastern PhoebeTree and Barn Swallows
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina and House Wrens
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwings (on nest)
E. Starling
Yellow-throated, White-eyed and Warbling Vireos
Yellow and Prothonotary Warblers
N. Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Towhee
Field and House Sparrows
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
Am. Goldfinch

Tomorrow's walk will begin at the lower parking lot at 8:00 AM.   We'll probably have to stick mostly to the bike path since gov't budget cuts have resulted in minimal mowing in the area.  Walking off trail today resulted in wet pants up to my thighs, and a good possibility I'll be finding some ticks later on today.

Cindy Beckman
Cheepers! Birding on a Budget
www.cheepersbirding.com
937-862-4505