From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 21:07:49 -0400
Most regular visitors to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (between
Cleveland and Akron) know there are Peregrine Falcons that hang-out under
the Ohio Turnpike Bridge.  Today I scanned the bridge supports and found one
adult with two chicks.  Here are a couple digiscoped pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/PeregrineW2Chicks#

The spotting scope was cranked up to about 45x and the birds were quite a
distance away.  I watched them for about 15 minutes.  The chick you see
standing was  active and moving 3 - 4 feet to the other side of the adult
before settling in the position you see.  The other one was down most of the
time although I did see it move its wings and head a little.  The adult
never left the nest site while I was there although it did a fair amount of
preening.

I took some video through the spotting scope which I will attempt to post on
You Tube if I ever learn how to do it.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH