From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 13:28:45 -0400
I visited several parks along this urban/suburban creek in east Columbus this morning looking for migrants.  The stream is at the heart of a nice urban greenbelt stretching from Bexley north to Westerville.  Today I spent a few hours collectively at Innis park, Tanager Woods, and Ridgewood Park before the rain started coming down in earnest (about 10).  No massive fallout, but a good selection of neotropical migrants (and a few temperate ones) was on hand, including

Great Egret - 1 was flying north over Innis Park, looking a little lost (since there are no large wetlands nearby)

Crested Flycatchers - present at every stop; Innis had 2-3

Vireos - Red-eyed Vireos at every stop; singing Warbling V. at Innis

House Wrens - one of the most common birds of the morning, with 6+ at every stop.

Gnatcatchers - even more common, with 8+ birds at each stop

Wood Thrush - 1 was at Tanager Woods, while 2 were at Ridgewood.

Warblers -
Yellow - 1 singing at Innis
Nashville - singing birds at Tanager Woods and Ridgewood
Yellow-throated - singing birds at every park, including 3 at Innis
Yellow-rumped - still the most common warbler at every stop
Palm - also common, with 2-3 at every stop
BLACKPOLL - extremely early singing male at Tanager Woods
Redstart - 1 singing at Ridgewood
N.Waterthrush - 2 at Tanager Woods
La.Waterthrush - 1 singing along Spring Creek at Ridgewood, possibly on territory
Yellow-br.Chat - 1 singing bird at Tanager Woods, along a power line cut

Scarlet Tanager - 1 singing male at Innis

Indigo Buntings - singing birds at Tanager Woods and Ridgewood

Rose-br.Grosbeaks - singing males at Tanager Woods and Ridgewood

Baltimore Orioles - 2 singing birds at both Innis and Tanager Woods

Aside from the nice morning, the other noteworthy item is that the new bikepath link between Innis Park and points south along the greenbelt is now mostly cleared and graveled.  I haven't hiked much of it, but if it stretches down through the riparian corridor to Weiler parkland, as planned, it should open up some great new birding areas.