From:
Robert Setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 20:42:01 -0400
Thanks Kenn!

Yes, I was primarily keying on the dark upper mandible, and the bill looks
very heavy compared with some field guides. Had I thought about it at the
time - rather than when I was looking at pics - I could have waited to see
leg color. I guess black legs are characteristic of the Great Egret. In
another quick pic of a bird on top of the rock dike on the same day, I
clearly see black legs. I do not know if it is the same bird, but it also
has a blackish upper mandible.

"Dr. Bob" Setzer
Streamwood Estates, Rochester Hills (Crooks & Hamlin), Oakland County

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day."   Teaching a man to "bird"
is much harder!
Blog: http://drbobsbirdblog.blogspot.com/