Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 16:38:57 GMT
My "visits" to our Muskingum County farm between multiple business trips have revealed the arrivals in fits and starts. Our place is not really a trap of any kind, but it is a destination for several nesting warbler species, usually eight or nine.

Jane and I take a walk around the place daily, over the hilltop horse pasture, and down and up the three ravines. The circuit usually takes 40 minutes or so, and the objective is not really birdwatching, but I usually go back out to check on species I hear.

Yesterday I was back out chasing after the hooded warblers I heard. I had heard one last week, but yesterday they were present in several locations. When I emerged from the woods into the "back forty" (six acres of successional field) I heard a yellow-breasted chat. This was of great interest to me, because they were annual nesters here 2001 - 2007. Those chats used to arrive quite late, usually not seen nor heard until mid-May. Yesterday's was babbling away in a most entertaining manner, and I was delighted to hear it again this morning in the same location when we rode Gerta and Brutus (horses) around the edge trail. Perhaps we have a new resident pair.

Many of the other feature migratory species have arrived:

Warblers: Blue-winged, yellow, hooded, redstart, Louisiana waterthrush, common yellowthroat, y-b chat

(I have yet to hear ovenbird or Kentucky)

Our first oriole (Baltimore) was singing from the big poplar in the front yard yesterday.

I heard the FOS rose-breasted grosbeak singing from the forest canopy someplace this morning.

Scarlet tanagers are seemingly everywhere in the woods.

Life is good!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County