OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:17:03 -0400
Coming back from Cleveland Hts this afternoon at 3:00, I made the time
stop at Highland Park Cemetery to check on the red breasted nuthatches
I'd
seen making dummy holes back in April.

After awhile, I started hearing a red breasted nuthatch and located it
in the spruce, same area
as usual when I've heard them.  He became quite agitated when a blue
jay  started
hopping around near him.

Eventually I saw the male and female poking around in the spruces, but
with all the
darting around and continuous motion it felt like there might be more
nuthatches.
And there were.  Two fledged birdies.  I saw them perched together on
a branch,
begging, and being fed by the male.

If anyone is interested in trying to find them...go to the east side
of section 6.  There is a row
of sycamores by the road, behind which is a row of spruce.  In the
midst of the spruce is
a huge maple.  That's where most of the activity was.

Also, the there is a big red tailed hawk chick in the nest that was
ransacked in April.  The
red tail rebuilt and has had success in the second effort.  Section 4
I think.

Lots of chipping sparrows.

Inga Schmidt