OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:45:25 -0400
I had a chance to spend the morning helping Margaret Bowman search through several OBBA blocks north and northeast of Utica, and was startled by how bird-rich this area has remained.  It superficially looks like a lot of glaciated plateau areas:  gently rolling hills surrounding the flat expanse of the valley of the North Fork of the Licking River.  Bird-wise, though, it has quite a few things that have become scarce elsewhere near Columbus.  Notables during the morning included:

Herons - we were in earshot of a large 20-nest Great Blue heron rookery along the North Fork, but also had 2 Green Herons in a small wetland formed by a railroad embankment

Sandhill Cranes - the 2 cranes reported by Margaret yesterday were still there today, feeding in a fallow field.  We couldn't see if they had young, as we had limited time.

Bald Eagle - I made a brief stop near the Utica nest, but didn't see any birds around the area.  It has been active all Spring.

Red-headed Woodpecker - not uncommon here, we had several on most roads that we drove.

Flycatchers - good #s of Pewees and Acadians in most woodlots, but also had good numbers of Willows and E.Kingbirds in many of the field areas

Vireos - lots of Red-eyed, which were expected, but also found White-eyed, several Yellow-throated (in woodlots along Debolt Rd) and Warbling (along the North fork).

Warblers - several of the woodlots, particularly those along Debolt Rd. had good #s of American Redstarts and Hooded Warblers.  Even more striking were the 2-3 Cerulean Warblers singing in the woodlot at the north end of this road.

The overcast, cool morning kept many birds active, and the volume of birdsong here was very impressive for late June.  Driving around here, you got the impression that this is what most of central Ohio must have been like before extensive urbanization changed the landscape closer to Columbus, Newark, and Dayton.  I was able to enjoy a 'trip back in time', even if just for a morning.