OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:37:36 -0400
Today I talked Linda into accompanying me to survey a block in Knox County for the OBBA II. The block basically had zilch for coverage during the first 5 years of the OBBA II project. I always enjoy a challenge and this block looked to be just that. Identified as Block 59B5CE, Homer, Miller Township, Knox County, its map on the Bing web site had it looking to be mostly farming county with some clumps of wooded areas, mostly along Sycamore Creek. The only things that stood out on the map were a cemetery and a small airport. I thought airport, what’s the chance of lucking into an Upland Sandpiper? There was no sandpiper but the block provided large populations of Bobolinks, a decent mixture of other grassland birds with 2 Henslow’s Sparrows topping the list. Once again a new block that seemed to have no great potential produced some nice discoveries. These blocks are too often overlooked as they appear to have minimal potential but on the flip side they are important to an accurate breeding bird atlas. Linda also got a dinner and my utmost appreciation for going with me on a hot day. Her favorite bird was the Common Yellowthroat that all but flew into us when I pished to see what I could pop up on Watson Road.
Charlie Bombaci

Species – Block 59B5CE
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose