OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:04:03 -0400
Time about 3:30pm.  I spent about 20 minutes viewing the wetland at the
intersection of Auburn and Pekin Roads in Newbury Township, Geauga County.
I stopped because I thought I saw two Common Moorhens swimming as I drove
down Pekin Road.  The only parking is a spot that can hold two cars on Pekin
Road as soon as you turn east off Auburn.  Be careful of traffic if you stop
here.

I was able to locate one of the birds near the parking spot.  Its black head
was above the green vegetation and its red bill stood out like a beacon!  As
I walked along the road I could hear birds across the road that I was unable
to identify (tin ear – runs in the family!).  I flushed a Green Heron that
flew a short distance and landed in a dead tree.  Beautiful colors.  Two
female Wood Ducks led broods across the open water – the group of 6 young
were almost the size of the adult – the other group had  5 young and were
about ¼ her size.

Also saw Kingbirds, Swallows (Tree and Barn), Cedar Waxwing, Mallards and
lots of Red-winged Blackbirds.  I’m sure there is much more there if someone
were to get there early and spend some time.  This could be an atlasing
bonanza.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH