OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:23:53 -0700
Highlights of a long road trip east and south...thanks to Bruce Simpson for his 6/22 post, from which I added a couple of stops to my original itinerary.

6/26:
Glacier Ridge, an many-times-postponed reunion with my buddy Andy Hohenbrink and my first visit there - many meadowlarks and grasshopper sparrows, a ticking Virginia rail, but only one bobolink.
Preston Rd, Columbus - five yellow-crowned night-herons.
Fernwood State Forest, Jefferson Co., along T 181 - multiple towhees, red-eyed vireos, wood thrushes and indigo buntings; one blue-winged warbler.
Mingo Sportsmans Club grasslands (adjoins Fernwood) - five grasshopper sparrows, six Henslow's sparrows, a couple of Savannahs, many meadowlarks, three bobolinks along 1˝ miles of dirt road.

6/27:
Fernwood SF, Beaver Dam Trail - even more towhees and wood thrushes; hooded, blue-winged, yellow, cerulean, and Kentucky warblers; red-eyed and white-eyed vireos.
Along Rte 7 just south of Brilliant (on the Ohio) - adult osprey feeding two juveniles; the nest is on a large goal-post powerline support.
Clear Creek Metro Park, Hocking Co, along Clear Creek Rd. - redstarts; common yellowthroat; yellow-breasted chat; parula; and yellow, chestnut-sided, and cerulean warblers.
Clear Creek park, Hemlock Trail - hooded, black and white, and black-throated green warblers.

6/28:
Clear Creek park, Cemetary Ridge Trail - parula; yellowthroat; ovenbirds; black-throated green, black and white, Kentucky, hooded, and worm-eating warblers; wood thrushes, red-eyed and yellow-throated vireos.
Zaleski State Forest, King Hollow Rd. - ovenbirds; parula; redstarts; yellowthroats; hooded, black and white, worm-eating, and cerulean warblers; red-eyed and white-eyed vireos.
Pickerington Ponds - an osprey working Ellis Pond; nice selection of field and woods birds along the Killdeer Trail.

6/29:
Heritage Rail Trail, Hilliard - two Bell's vireos (eyes on one), lots of other hedgerow species including all three mimids.
Mohican State Park, Hemlock Gorge Trail for about a mile downstream of the covered bridge - veerys and wood thrushes; willow and Acadian flycatchers, a pewee, and a phoebe; worm-eating (2), black-throated green, Canada (2), and hooded (2) warblers.  Had eyes on both Canadas (separate male and female) and one worm-eating.

Craig Caldwell
Happy to be home in Westlake