OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:17:48 -0400
I had to visit the inlaws this weekend down in the Cumberland Falls area down in Kentucky...so who am I to not take the opportunity to do a little birding. :-D

So far I have had:

3 yellow billed cuckoos
2 Indigo Buntings
Several jays
A Piliated woodpecker
Red bellied woodpecker

But the best part has been the amount of warblers.  In less than an hour, and less than an acre, I was able to locate:
8 hooded warblers...they woke me up!
12 black and white warblers...they are everywhere!
4 N.Parulas (1 with food in mouth, not eating it.)

I have one that is a mystery, although I think that it is some sort of Vireo...It makes a call that sort of sounds like a towhee's, "drink-your-tea" call, but it doesent have that sort of rattle at the end.

Anyhew, if there is anything good flying in southern Ohio, that would give me a good reason to not take the Interstate all the way back, please let me know, or please post.  Thanks.

Have a great day!

Steve Jones