OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:15:15 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to the Darby Plains this morning made a stop at the Heritage bikepath site for the Bell's Vireo and found it singing in the hedgerow right at the Mile Marker 3 sign.  We were there around 11:30 AM, and it was not singing continuously, but it was visible for brief instances if you were patient.  We also stopped at several sites at Prairie Oaks MetroPark (POMP), finding the following notable birds:

Kestrel - 1 bird was along the far west end of Hayden Run Road
Wild Turkey - we didn't find them, but the ranger recently reported several at the north end of Darby Bend Lakes and nearby Beaver Lake
Spotted Sandpiper - 1 bird flying around Darby Bend Lakes, a possible nesting spot
Willow Flycatchers - several calling pairs along the Hilliard bikepath
E.Kingbirds - a pair were in the grasslands along Amity Rd, while several were around the Darby bend Lakes region of POMP
Warbling Vireos - several were singing along Darby Creek
Brown Thrashers - 1 singing bird and 1 pair with a juvenile were along the Hilliard bikepath

Warblers - lots of yellow Warblers along the Hilliard bikepath, along with Common Yellowthroats in the fields there and at POMP.  Single Parula & Yellow-throated Warblers were heard in the riparian area of Darby Bend Lakes

Sparrows - Savannahs were singing at several places along Roberts Rd and Amity Rd, while 2 Vesper Sparrows were singing in the fields along the Hilliard bikepath

Meadowlarks - 12-15 were singing and displaying in the grasslands along Amity Rd near Sycamore Plains, a healthy # for this site.

Orioles - Baltimore Orioles were abundant in the riparian areas along Darby Creek, while we had an Orchard Oriole pair bringing food to a nest along the River Rock trail at Darby Bend lakes.  Another 2 Orchard Orioles were foraging along the Hilliard bikepath shrub-line.

Dickcissels - none were found at the Amity Road fields near Sycamore Plains and near the north Canoe access in POMP, locations that have held them in the past.