OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:38:49 -0400
Today I had planned to cover a block near Ostrander [Delaware County] for the OBBA II. Some plans are not meant to happen. After a 45 minute drive Linda and I arrived at the Blue Creek Preserve which had a closed gate with a sign reading "Closed Due To High Water". Looking at the fields in the area these poor folks really caught the worst of the rain. The farm fields resembled Lake Erie. We then tried to adjust and cover along some country roads. Water, water everywhere, but not a bird to see. Giving up on that idea for today I swung south east to the Hoover Nature Preserve to monitor my Prothonotary Warbler Trail. This produced a much more rewarding result. We first stopped at Area L where I checked on the progress of the 10 nest sites I had previously confirmed and as a bonus I located 2 new nest sites at Area L. The pair that nearly landed on me my last trip out haven't become any shyer. The female was nestled in the cavity and the male perched on a branch above us and sang the entire time we were in the vacinity. The cavity entrance is exactly eye level for me. There is a lot of fishing traffic in this area and I hope they are not driven out. They are very tolerant but there is a limit.

We broke for lunch and after Linda stayed back to help her mother with her flower beds. I headed into the back recesses of Area N and part of Area M. The water levels have risen significantly. Where I had nest boxes exposed on dry land last week there is now almost 2 feet of water. This both the birds and I like better. The access by predators is diminished greatly when water is under the nest boxes and cavities. I waded around trying to keep track of the activity. The Prothonotaries seemed to be everywhere at once. I located 12 new nest sites in Area N and 4 in Area M. I have now determined the location of 101 Prothonotary Warbler territories in the preserve and at the north end of Hoover Reservoir. Soon SS and I will go south with her boat to located territories there. It is adding up to another great year for the PROW's. I also located the nest sites for 2 pairs of Acadian Flycatchers and 2 pairs of Yellow-throated Warblers.

Not the day I planned but definitely one I'll take.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve