OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
"Steve J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve J.
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:22:16 -0400
Just a quick "heads up" to everyone, the reason why that there have been
a lot of banded pigeons as of late is that there was a race that
started  in either eastern Illinois or Somewhere in Indiana. (500 miles
from Erie PA from what I can gather)  So some of the birds that are
heading east are "running out of gas", and are resting before finishing
their trip.  There have been three found in Ohio so far, our two and one
up in Cedar Point...must have wanted a vacation. :-D
The secretary of the racing chapters that I have contacted so far  have
suggested that if you find one, offer it food and water it if you can.
Eventually in a couple of days, it will get enough strength to finish
the flight.

Paul Walsh from the International Federation (IF) also sent me an email.
He suggested that you read the article found in this link on care and
feeding a lost pigeon:  http://www.ifpigeon.com/IF/if_care_pigeon.html

There are people listed there to contact if you are able to get a band
number and can give you further instructions if you can capture it to
make arrangements to return it to it's owner.

 I will post the email from Paul, and the links that I have gathered on
the OOS forum site as soon as I can.

Have a great day!

Steve Jones
sjlarue