OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:44:25 -0700
I went out real early yesterday to atlas in some OBBA2 blocks in Richmond Twp., Andover area, and Cherry Valley Twp. in southeastern Ashtabula Co.  This region still has some good wetlands, grasslands, and woodland habitat so it's always fun to bird there.  On the way back home I stopped at Shenango WA in northeastern Trumbull Co.  Some highlights on the day were: wood duck, 6 green herons (in 4 blocks), 2 bald eagles (Pymatuning Res.), 1 osprey at Pymatuning and another nearby on a nest on a tower in Andover, 3 Am. kestrels, ruby-throated hummingbirds, pileated woodpecker, 7 flycatcher species including an alder flycatcher in Richmond Twp., yellow-throated vireos, blue-gray gnatcatchers, e. bluebirds, 3 veery, wood thrushes, brown thrasher, cedar waxwings, blue-winged warbler, chestnut-sided warbler (Richmond Twp.), 2 cerulean warblers, Am. redstarts, prothonotary warbler (Shenango WA), hooded warblers, scarlet tanagers, savannah sparrows, swamp
 sparrows, rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, bobolinks, e. meadowlark, and Baltimore orioles.  Also of note--At the Pymatuning Res. causeway but on the Pennsylvania side was a feeding flock of 20 common terns and nesting cliff swallows.  It was a great day of birding in mid-June and you never know what you'll find if you get out and help with OBBA2!!  Craig Holt, Lowellville