OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:47:01 -0700
A  nice find Al,

as to the June-July distribution of White-throated
Sparrow, this former breeding species along the
northern tier of counties from Marblehead to
Ashtabula, can be found most summers as a non
breeding visitor near the Lake Erie shoreline. Few
records exist farther south, especially beyond the
first 10 days of June when late migrants may still
be moving north.

this eBird map, although incomplete, illustrates
the current pattern. http://tinyurl.com/24c4bb8

An increasing number of summer records
(greater field effort owing to the Atlas?) have
surfaced for the southern half of Ohio. A quick scan of
recent issues of North American Birds produced these
observations ...

2004: Hamilton County, 28 Jun (S. Corbo)
         Athens County, early Jun (M. Boyd)
2005: Hocking County, 13 Jun (D. Horn)
         ref. to same location as prior summer
2007: Gallia County, 9 June (B. Sparks)
         Hamilton County, 7-22 Jul (B. Zimmerman)

no doubt a few others have been overlooked.

Were these added to eBird by the observers, a fuller
picture would emerge of the summer distribution of
these laggards.

cheers

Vic Fazio
Lawton/Fort Sill M.R., OK