OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2010 23:16:08 -0400
During an outing with the Natty-types of the Metro Parks on the Greenway Trail. I heard and glimpsed through the fieldglass two or so Dickcissels in the prairie area along Darby Creek Drive. From the Cedar Ridge Entrance, enter the Greenway trail and head out just under a mile (its before the bridge over the wet grassy ditch). Having a Spotting scope would help find them since they weren't very close to the path. Its also before greenway trail crosses the road (Darby Crk. Dr). You can see a map here http://www.metroparks.net/MapBattelle.aspx. If you try for these birds familiarize yourself with the di-di-di-dick noise that travels better than the ciss-cissel noises that drown out unless you're right next to them. List of birds there on the prairie:
Dickcissel
Grasshopper Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow (on the old horse race track)
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Cedar Waxwings
Baltimore Orioles
Indigo Buntings
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow Warbler
Hooded Mergansers
Blue-winged Teal     (these fowl also seen further down in the more recently built wetlands along the greenway)
Near the lodge:
Acadian Flycatcher
Carolina Wren
Wood Thrush