OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:30:57 -0400
Paula Bartlett and I conducted the 13th June monthly census on Kelleys
Island yesterday.  Weather was in the 70's-80's, SW winds 5-15 mph, and PC
skies; beautiful day.  60 species were observed with 3407 individuals.  The
13 year average is 60.5 species and 2911 individuals.  Highlights included a
second-year Great Black-backed Gull and a Common Tern.  Both were observed
for only the second time on the June census.  The most unusual missing
species was the Gray Catbird which was missed for the first time.  Red-eyed
Vireo numbers were down as well.  The 13 year average is 10 birds per census
and we recorded only 2.  Gull numbers, especially Ring-billed Gull were way
above average.  The Kelleys Island eagle nest has one almost fully grown
young still sitting in it.  This is the second year in a row for a
successful nesting on the island.

One note of interest, while waiting for the ferry at Marblehead, we observed
3000+ Common Grackle flying towards Kelleys Island from the mainland around
6:00 AM.  Seems early for grackle flocks and why were they headed for
Kelleys?  We didn't find any large flocks on the census.

44     Double-crested Cormorant
14     Great Blue Heron
1       Great Egret
1       Black-crowned Night-Heron