OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:05:33 -0400
I spent parts of yesterday visiting ravines along the lower east shore of Hoover reservoir, focusing on the Hoover Nature Trail and Duncan Glen.  Even in the heat of late morning, these areas were cool and buggy.  With a lot more rural surroundings than the Alum Ravines of my last post, these have a more interesting bird fauna.  Highlights included:

Wild Turkey - a hen was shepherding her lone poult along Adams Rd north of Duncan Glen (one of its side ravines).

Barred Owl - only a short distance fom the turkey, a fledgeling owl was calling for its parents.

Flycatchers - loads of calling Acadians and Pewees were in both locations

Yellow-throated Vireos - singers at several locations at both sites; these birds appear to be very numerous this year.

Wood Thrush - defensive birds were calling at both sites, which are likely nesting areas

Prothonotary Warbler - not much flooded habitat along the steep sides of the lower reservoir, but an adult was feeding a fledgeling at Duncan Glen, in one of the few flat, flooded areas.

Other warblers - nothing out of the ordinary, with Yellow-throated along both ravines and Yellow in the spillway below Hoover dam.  The Lousisana Waterthrushes that have nested here are done and gone.

Tanagers - Scarlets were singing at both sites, while a Summer was calling along the Hoover Nature trail.