OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:00:55 -0400
I've still got red breasted nuthatches at my home in Geauga Co. too.

Today, after over a week of waiting and watching I finally established
that
there are two birds here.  After hearing them over a week ago, I
started putting
seed nearby, and one bird immediately came to pick through for nuts.
(This is in a spot
where I scattered feed in the winter, and had rb nuthatches.) Managed
to get a
few photos.

Today, both birds were poking around in the gravel drive, and came to
feed on the
seeds as soon as I scattered them.

I have looked hard for a nesting cavity, watching which direction the
birds fly, and scanning
trees, but so far, my only reward has been a sore neck.

Earlier this year I found a pair in Highland Park Cemetery in
Cleveland. ( Section 6 for the enterprising.)
Although I heard them again, I wasn't able to confirm nesting. I think
that was in April.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road at the Geauga/Cuy county line