OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:31:55 -0400
After chasing rumors for three years, and actually seeing a pair in March, well before the "safe dates" for OBBA2, this morning I finally saw the elusive Knox Co. sandhill cranes around 9:30 (June 21, 2010).

They were feeding in a soybean field south of Arrington Road, about 1/4 mile east of State Route 13.  I believe that there was a young fuzzy-headed colt with them, but due to the height of the vegetation I cannot positively rule out some other animal, so for now I am coding them "PO", pair observed.

I have spoken with the landowner, who says that he sees them regularly.  This is the third summer they have been around.  Last year, he saw two young with them, but he does not think that the young survived to adulthood.  He hadn't seen any young yet this year.

This location is not far north of the Licking/Knox county line, just north of Utica.  After so many tantalizing reports, it was a real thrill to finally locate the birds myself.

What a year this has been!  First, the Eurasian wigeon in Newark, then the "new" bald eagle's nest on the Licking/Knox county line (officially called the Utica nest by ODNR), the vermillion flycatcher in Holmes county (just after school let out, allowing me to "twitch") and now the sandhill cranes almost in my backyard.

Margaret Bowman
Licking (and now a regular Knox visitor) Co.