OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2010

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:43:08 -0400
Last night (June 21), I re-found a hen Ring-necked duck in the same Athens
county farm pond that two Ring-necked ducks were present at throughout much
of May and the first day of June.  This time the drake was not present - I'm
assuming its the same bird but perhaps I shouldn't.  Occupying the same
favorite "cove" of the pond as the previous Ring-neckeds - this bird's
presence was coincidental with the removal of turtle traps which were marked
with white plastic jugs.  As soon as these were removed, this bird
re-appeared.  I observed the bird diving and preening itself constantly. It
was not seen today though.  It stayed away from the approx. 20-25 Wood ducks
that are also present in the pond.  Yellow-breasted chat, Common
yellowthroat, Chimney swift and Tree swallow were also seen or heard.

Today I found a grounded and seemingly exhausted tame pigeon in Burr Oak
State Park (dock 3 area - Morgan County) with a lime green band on its leg
with AU 2009 LFO 768 on the band.  From what I can find on the web I believe
the bird is out of Lancaster, Ohio and a member of the Lancaster Pigeon
Club - if there is such a thing.  I was able to catch the bird effortlessly
and its currently resting in a dog crate.  The bird consumed a lot of water
immediately upon being placed in the enclosure and is eating mixed seed as
well.  I tried contacting the group earlier today but have not heard from
anyone yet - probably will release it tomorrow morning at first light.  The
bird seems strong and was wondering if it might be lost instead of
exhausted?  But with 90 degree heat and high humidity, who knows?  The
location in which the bird was found is probably only 30-40 miles from where
I think it may be from, but is it coming or going?

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake