OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:17:03 -0400
Thanks to Carole for the observations. She also mentions Wheaton's book
on Ohio birds. It was widely praised by the big names in ornithology in
its day, and is the first important Ohio work succeeding the
professionalization of the discipline. Wheaton was very scrupulous, and
his work covered everything that was known in 1882; it is of course of
great historical interest, but is worth consulting for much more.
        This work is only part of the "Report of the Geological Survey of
Ohio," which also contains extended coverage of mammals, reptiles and
amphibians, and fishes. Because there are very few illustrations, you
can usually find a rather cheap copy. It has also been scanned for the
internet, at
http://books.google.com/books?id=PYpIAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA489&lpg=PA489&dq=Wheaton,+Birds+of+Ohio&source=bl&ots=LXnvMThxIF&sig=8xwyHqvcisRIRHmvMSTm-XKkZME&hl=en&ei=IvM-TIDBAoH6lwfG34XdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBzgU#v=onepage&q=Wheaton%2C%20Birds%20of%20Ohio&f=false
It seems harder to find recently, as Google, perhaps doing a bit of
evil, seems to have pushed copies for sale up higher than readable ones;
in fact, it didn't appear at all in a search for '"Report on the Birds
of Ohio" Wheaton,' which is a shame. Fortunately all the older Ohio bird
works---books or sections thereof by Wheaton, Jones, Dawson, Davie,
Kirtland, etc., and journal articles by almost everyone else--can be
found in searchable electronic form. If you have trouble finding
something, write me and maybe I can give a URL.
        Finally, weary as I am of debating peregrines, I will mention that both
the birds that made Ohio's first nesting were already banded and neither
proved to be a wild bird; in fact, the band that could be read was of a
Canadian bird (good, because only the Canadians insisted on releasing
birds of the local subspecies, anatum) hacked in Alberta and released in
Ontario.
        Of course humans did not, and probably could not, deliberately
introduce peregrines into Toledo or any other city and expect them to
remain, but the birds that ended up the hotel--at least the one
determined, and probably both--had been artificially fostered and
released. Could peregrine nests have gone from zero to 35 in a place
like Ohio under natural circumstances just over the past forty years
just because we have tall buildings? Is it responsible to talk about the
status of Ohio peregrines without carefully considering the massive
introduction project? Have trumpeter swans rediscovered their ancestral
nesting grounds in Ohio over the past twenty years, or maxima Canada
geese over the past sixty?
        As for other birds the authorities introduced here with the very best
of intentions, I won't repeat the widely-known horror stories, but
rather this from back in the day when even cowboy amateurs did so:
shortly after a lengthier but ultimately unsuccessful introduction in
Cincinnati (surely Ohio's center of introduced birds), another was
initiated in Columbus, recorded thus: "'In the autumn of 1851, Mr.
Bateham, on his return from England, brought a cage of the real English
Skylarks, which, after keeping a few weeks at his residence, near the
Lunatic Asylum, were set at liberty in the grove back of that
institution. They very shortly disappeared entirely, and no doubt
perished, either in the severe winter which followed, or by the hand of
the fowler."  Thank goodness, though at least larks wouldn't be eating
the local birds...but they might still be around if they could.
Bill Whan
Columbus