OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:05:53 -0400
Went to Chippewa Inlet Trail in Medina county and saw several birds and
ducks that I could use help identifying.
I posted photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/christinemcanlis/sets/72157624446596285/
Hope the link works.
The ducks sitting on a log all look like possible ring necked ducks but
when I entered that in e-bird, it questioned that I had 8. So I thought
I'd ask.
Also, I believe the single ducks in the photos are wood ducks?

One other question, I saw many swallows, some I easily identified as barn
swallows (due to their reddish breast and blue black backs). But there
were other swallows with white breasts, similar or smaller size than the
barn swallows. I tentatively identified those as bank swallows but they
could have been northern rough winged swallows. However since they had
more of a notched tail I thoght they were bank swallows. They were not
tree swallows - I see them all the time when I monitor nest boxes and I
know them.

One other interesting note - we saw roughly 20 turkey vultures hovering in
the same area. Since it's so hot and humid, I wasn't sure if they were
just in a thermal or if they were all circling around the carcass of a
really big animal.

Thanks,
Chris McAnlis
Medina county, OH