OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:09:22 -0400
Hans Clebsch and I visited Conneaut for two hours yesterday, at mid-day.
  We managed ten species of shorebirds, including a Sanderling, four
Short-billed Dowitchers, the Stilt Sandpiper that others have been
reporting (spectacular breeding-plumaged adult), and a Greater Yellowlegs.

The real highlight was spotting two Whimbrel flying into the harbor.
They landed for about twenty seconds, sized up the place, then took off
to the east and disappeared.

The Conneaut drop-in-and-leave phenomenon is pretty interesting, and it
really makes it hard to leave the place when shorebirds keep appearing
out of mid-air.

Andy Jones
Cleveland Heights, OH

--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
William A. and Nancy R. Klamm Endowed Chair of Ornithology