OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:05 -0400
Adding to Bill's worries...

It's very possible (maybe even likely) that these city-nesting
Peregrines are picking off more nocturnal migrants (including
declining wetland species and neotropical migrants) than wild-nesting
Peregrines ever did.  The glow of urban light pollution attracts and
confuses nocturnal migrants and presumably aids Peregrines in catching
them.

Two pieces of the puzzle:

A YouTube video of a Peregrine hunting at night under city lights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtiWWr3e8-U

A blog from Oklahoma State University detailing the migrant birds that
collide with a glassy building on that campus.  Window kill rates at
the OSU Rec Center last fall were similar.  And these aren't even
skyscrapers we're talking about.
http://birdsmack.wordpress.com/

Dave

Dave Slager
Graduate Student
Terrestrial Wildlife Ecology Lab
School of Environment and Natural Resources
The Ohio State University
210 Kottman Hall, 2021 Coffey Road
Columbus, OH  43210-1085