OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:18:57 -0400
The juv. Little Blue Heron was seen through out the day today at Pickerington Ponds Metro Park (map on www.metroparks.net), mostly in the Mallard Marsh pond behind the bluewing pond I originally saw it in, but it apparently moves back and forth (not far from each other) and you can see it from the same parking area at the Wood Duck Picnic area and The Wood Duck Viewing Blind. It seems the young Osprey have left the nest platform across the street already and they are in the dead trees over there (we saw five osprey). Other birds included about 6 Great Egrets, Black Crowned Night Heron (spotted by Jim Fry in the Blue Wing pond dead trees), Solitary Sandpiper, Purple Martins, Bank Swallows, Barn Swallows, etc. The Little Blue Heron was still there at 7:00pm when I left.
cheers,

Ben Warner
Naturalist: Blacklick Metro Park