OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Carole Babyak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:38:23 -0400
Raptors have always been hated.   Re: History of wolf vs man, coyote vs man in this country.   And researching the Wolf on Isle Royal (where wolf and moose numbers were known) indicates the wolf will take the sick- worm infected etc.- moose - easier to catch.  As Lions pick the Wildebeast that is limping to pursue.

 However the casual observations of a University Prof in 2005 at the Youngtown Peregrine site alarmed him because Cuckoos are not seen - even in Mill Creek Park in any numbers.   Thus we do not know the population of Cuckoos presumably along the Mahoning River so we cannot say that the population has been compromised by the Peregrines diet.    By  June 21, 2005 he casually counted 8 Yellow-billed remains, as well as a Woodcock and a Bat - along with Pigeons that he did not keep track of.        By 16 July 2005 counted 4 Black-billed Cuckoos, 12 Yellow-billed Cuckoos, as well as a Nighthawk.    (This was a head count)    There are still Nighthawks in Youngstown - summer of 2010.    Unfortunately he couldn't resume his observations and I don't think anyone else has.         Documenting this is important.     Documentation doesn't take alot of time.      In National Geographic Complete Birds of North America   pgs 316-317    The Black-billed Cuckoo population comments says: "The Black-billed has shown a substantial decline and is considered a species of conservation concern in many areas of the U.S."  Yellow-billed popl. comments:  "Common in eastern N.A. becoming increasingly rare and local in much of the West."    If this is correct then the diet of the Youngstown Peregrines reflects the population of the 2 birds.
   Peregrines are exciting birds               Wolfs and coyotes are also exciting

             It's wonderful that Bald Eagles eat  groundhogs!

Carole Babyak