OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
"Barrett,Robert P" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barrett,Robert P
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:46:53 -0400
Exciting news, no doubt about it.
But I have to wonder, what will they do when it turns cold?
While it's possible for a pair of Gallinules to produce young in Ohio, can we expect the young to breed in their native wetland at Clearfork?  Will they fly south in the fall and stay there, or might they return in the spring?  Will the young even be strong enough to fly south in October?  Or does this species not migrate (willingly) far from the Gulf Coast?  If not, why not?  What could tell them that they have gone far enough, and that heading farther north is not in their favor?  I'm thinking that they must be responding to some sort of signal or indicator (cypress trees?  Alligators?) and wondering what it could be.  There must be some good reason why we don't normally encounter Purple Gallinules in Ohio, and this makes me very curious about it.

Dr. Bob Barrett
Geography and Planning
University of Akron