OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:19:12 -0400
Been out of state and catching up, still--here's a lengthy late response to
Bob's inquiry about swallows in western Ross County, south central Ohio (and
more peregrine speculations):

Northern Rough-winged Swallows nest on the face of the Copperas Mountain
shale outcrop Bob introduced in his post, below. This is the largest
continuous Ohio Shale outcrop in Ohio and I urge Listserv readers to put a
visit on your southern Ohio itinerary next time you plan a trip through the
area. Just Mapquest Paint Valley High School, you can't miss the huge
exposure southeast of there. I don't recommend close approach unless you
drive a four-wheel drive vehicle--the road along the base is usually poorly
maintained due to frequent rockslides. Route 50, etc. through Paint Valley
is a great scenic drive during the third week of October. While you are in
the area, visit Buzzard's Roost Preserve--the one west of Chillicothe--for
more spectacular views of beautiful wild Ohio.

Some geology:
This is a fascinating place! Towers of Huron Member Ohio Shale form ramparts
rising from eroding Paint Creek through the crumbly formation to nearly
vertical Cleveland Member Ohio Shale and topping-out in the Bedford Shale
formation overtopping it. Climbing on the loose shale is not a good
idea--it's dangerous and the local deputies are tired of rescuing errant
beer-drinkers emboldened to climb beyond their ability. Climbing bugs the
swallows, too. Bob's climbing in 1981 is excused as necessary for research.
My climbing back in the day--well, I was an adventurous kid wanting a
peregrine's vista (not a beer-drinker):-) You will see tens of swallows if
they are still hanging out there this season.

Swallow geoecology:
Streamside stretches of cliff-forming Ohio Shale through central Ohio from
Portsmouth to Cleveland hold nesting Rough-winged Swallows, based on my
personal observations. Herein may be a geoecological relationship resulting
from the nature of shale weathering peculiar to the highly organic Ohio
Shale commonly forming small temporary shallow cavities on shale faces of
this formation. Of course, N. Rough-winged Swallows use many microhabitats,
even tile drains in spillways of many reservoirs.

Peregrines:
I will speculate that native Ohio breeding peregrines (if such existed, and
in south central OH, before settlement) may have used the tops of the Huron
Member ramparts mentioned earlier. These are not typical eyrie ledges, but
these might have served peregrine purposes from time to time (I observed
many eyries closely and rappelled down to a number of them to band young
during research activities in Greenland back during the years when Bob was
doing his energy research). The ramparts are excellent perching vantage
points for seeing prey a long way away! Some terminate in level spots that
would take a nest scrape and hold eggs and downy young, and spectacular
"kakking" brooding falcons.

Tom Bain
Formerly of The Glaciated Allegheny Plateau
Ross County, Ohio