OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
"Barrett,Robert P" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barrett,Robert P
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:50:13 -0400
Thanks for the reference to the 1962 nesting in Franklin County; it provides more information that might shed some light on this mystery.
The authors (Glines and Trautman) discussed the simultaneous dropping of all flight feathers by the common gallinule and full recovery of flying ability by October 15.  They were unable to find records of a similar flightless interval in the Purple Gallinule, but presented evidence to support this theory.
Has it now been verified that Purple Gallinules also shed their flight feathers in this fashion?  I would not be surprised, but something should exist in the scientific literature by now to confirm it.  I hope.
So, here is my hypothesis to explain the normal northern limit of the breeding range of the migratory Purple Gallinule:
The flight feathers could be molted in response to the shortening of day length in late summer, probably in August in Ohio, probably in July farther south.  In more northern locations, days are longer before the equinox (September 21 or 22), and shorter after it.  Therefore, to the north of the normal breeding range, flight feathers would be lost and re-grown at dates later in the year, while freezing temperatures and the diminishing of the food supply would occur earlier in the year.  At some point, the birds would be expected to starve or freeze before they were able to fly south.  While this might not affect the fledglings, the breeders would be removed from the population if they nested too far north.  Since breeding "success" is generally measured by the survival of the offspring, the untimely demise of the parents might not have been noted before.
Evidence to test this hypothesis might be found in Argentina, at the southern limit of the species' range, where the same constraints should operate even though the seasons are reversed.  However, Cornell's range map
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Gallinule/lifehistory
indicates that migratory Purple Gallinules are only found in southeastern North America.  The species has also become naturalized in parts of Europe, and might be migratory there.
What would be most helpful, and probably does not exist (does it?!?) is an extensive record of what dates this species was observed to breed, cease flying, resume flying, and depart on migration for various locations in temperate zones far from the equator.

If anyone has another hypothesis, or a simpler method of testing this one, I'd love to read it.

Dr. Bob Barrett
Geography and Planning
University of Akron