OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:15:15 -0700
I try to set aside a day around this time of year annually to really explore the
vastness that is Pickerel Creek WA (Sandusky Co),and assess which pools have
been dropped for migrant shorebirds (if any).  Today was one of the better days
I've had out there, especially so early in the season.  Major props to those in
charge of habitat management at this refuge - it seemed like were 20 dowitchers
waiting around every corner here, this afternoon.  While last year's trusty Pool
8 remains full to the brim, check out the pond across from the orchid field (and
sign) on CR-260, the impoundments north of the observation tower, and most
notably, Pool 16, at the property's northeast border.  Pool 16 can be recahed by
walking north from the Vickery Rd. parking lot, and then east, or parking along
TR-280, and heading west (probably quicker).  At Pipe Creek, check out Unit C.
Maps of these areas can be found on the ODNR website.

A couple phots can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/?saved=1  If the link does not work
replace the word 'at' in the URL with the at 'sign.'

Pipe Creek:

Snowy Egret  3
AMERICAN AVOCET  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  7
Semipalmated Sandopiper  10
Least Sandpiper  43
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Short-billed Dowitcher  13
American Woodcock  1  bonus shorebird!
WILSON'S PHALAROPE  1  ad m

Pickerel Creek:

Snowy Egret  1
Cattle Egret  2  flyovers on CR-260
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Lesser Yellowlegs  279
Semipalmated Sandpiper  17
Least Sandpiper  206
Stilt Sandpiper  21
Short-billed Dowitcher  414
WILSON'S PHALAROPE  3

After factoring Killdeer into the Pick totals, 1100+ shorebirds were present
here today.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Parma