OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:00:08 -0700
Ottawa auto tour was disappointing - essentially no shorebird habitat.  Same for
Metzger.  Ottawa did have several dickcissels along the first straightaway, at
least two of whom are audible from the corner of Krause and Stange Rds.  At
least three more dickcissels were singing from the south side of Bodi Rd (east
of Lemon).

Some mud was exposed in Turtle Creek at the Lemon - Duff Washa Rd.
intersection.  Solitary and least sandpipers, lesser yellowlegs, at least 40
killdeer.

Pickerel Creek:  Though some of the birds which Gabe spotted yesterday have left
or moved, the pond on Pearson Rd. across from the orchid field still had at
least 200 short-billed dowitchers and many lesser yellowlegs.  Couldn't find any
stilt sandpipers there or at the northeast corner of the wildlife area.  (Not
sure we were at the same pond as Gabe - the downloadable map doesn't identify
the ponds.)

Pipe Creek, Unit B, still had the adult male Wilson's phalarope, dowitchers,
yellowlegs, and least sandpipers.  There may have been other peeps but a
peregrine flushed everybody before we could examine everthing.  They landed in
the heavily-vegetated Unit C.

Craig Caldwell (with Henry Fortlage and, at Pickerel, Chris Pierce)
Westlake